A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Tuesday, March 20, 2007

PT today

Knee flexion measured out at 110 degrees today. I feel pretty weak in my hamstring, but that will improve. I'm now doing leg lifts, adductor, abductor, and stretching 2x/day. Also, I'm going to step up the icing to try to get the last bit of swelling to go down so I can get some more flex in the knee.

The PT put me on a stationary bike today, and while I couldn't actually pedal a full cycle, I'm pretty close. Their recommendation is to use it for now as a way to stretch, and before long I should be able to pedal continuously.

No comments: