A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Monday, March 19, 2007

Day 10

Doing well, though I'm still not consistenly getting a great night's sleep. I'm finding it tough to get settled for some reason. However, my knee flexion continues to improve. I'm well beyond 90 degrees, say about 110 at this point, and walking around is pretty routine. I'm not having any significant pain at all, just achiness after doing my exercises, or if I've been walking around a bit. When I leave the house for any significant walking around I take my crutches which just help me take some of the weight off the leg. I'm also not having any trouble with the rehab exercises so I'm really hoping to be able to pedal a stationary bike this week. If so I can start going back to the gym.

Had my first day back at work today, and found it pretty tough to sit at my desk for very long before the knee got sore. I think I'm still tight enough that sitting for some time, even at less than 90 degrees flexion, I get a little sore, which makes concentration a little tough. So I'm still icing the knee a couple of times every day, after which it feels better.

No comments: