A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Friday, March 23, 2007

Careful of the hamstring

In the last day or two, I've tweaked my hamstring a few times with very painful results. One time, I was just pulling on a shoe, another time I got up from a chair too quick. The trick is to avoid putting any real pressure on the hamstring until it fully heals.

Pedaled a stationary bike at the gym today for ten minutes not even fast enough to turn the bike on really, but enough to loosen up the joint very nicely. Then did three sets of low cable hip adductor, abductor, and leg lifts (quads) at low weight settings without too much trouble. It was easy enough to ride and do the exercises, that I should be able to increase the duration and intensity on the bike next time, and the amount of weight I'm pulling on the cable machine.

No comments: