A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Thursday, March 15, 2007

First PT visit

Saw my physical therapist for the first time yesterday and came away very encouraged. My quadriceps strength is still very good, flexibility is also good. You start losing strength and muscle mass very quickly if they're not used, but especially when you spend a lot of time in bed. My PT thought I'd be playing some tennis this summer, which could be one of two things: Either she assumes tennis is like croquet, or she thinks I can progress rapidly.

Didn't sleep well last night, but did manage to do so without my brace. I had started off with the brace on, but it was pressing against my ankle bone and really irritates the incision above my knee. For some reason, that incision is the most bothersome. After wearing the brace for a little while last night, I just took it off. I don't think I'm going to injure myself in bed. I think the main risk is taking a fall. My quadriceps is in good shape which is what will protect the stability of the knee.

No comments: