A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Monday, March 12, 2007

Post-op day 3

Good progress so far. Up to 61% flexion on the CPM, and started moving around the house on my crutches and putting some weight on the leg, and it's feeling very good. I'm now off Percosets and switching to ibuprofen for the little bit of residual pain and to reduce swelling. I'm not feeling a lot of pain except for some achiness when I wake up, and I think that's mainly the result of swelling overnight and not being able to use the Cryo/Cuff.

Got the dressing off this morning and had a look for the first time at the leg. There are actually four small holes, plus the long stapled incision beside the shin. I haven't yet seen the video or any stills of the surgery, so I'm not yet sure which holes were used for what.

One thing that surprised me is that I was sure before removing the dressing that I had an incision on the lower back of my thigh where I assumed they harvested the hamstring graft, but there's nothing there! I've felt some real tenderness there. I'm guessing the long incision is where they did this work, but I can't quite figure out how that would have worked. I'll have to get the whole story later this week when I have the stitches/staples removed. The incision that is the most sensitive is the one at the top, highest on the leg, but it's mostly just surface tenderness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey bro...nice shaving job. Glad to hear it's a piece of cake so far...really, you've got a great attitude. I love the site and I can't wait to see you on the court again with your bionic knee. xxAnne

Tamara said...

Once again, helpful to have Stephen's blog to know a little bit more about what to expect. I went back to the dr today for post op check. My incisions look like Stephen's except the stitches are inside and will dissolve. Skin is taped and tape will dissolve in 7-10 days. Dr pushed me to get off the crutches by the end of the week and work toward full weight on the knee. Taking 1/2 Percoset every 4 hours but feeling sick to my stomach from it. Stephen is still kicking my butt on the CPM, but knee flexed to almost 90 degrees without the bandages. I can get the knee fully straight but can't lock it and haven't been able to since the injury a month ago. Dr says to really work to get some negative flex now that the meniscous is repaired. Going to use a pillow and let it sag to see if simple gravity will get it moving. Ouch.

Stephen Gilson said...

Those percosets are really unpleasant, and they bind up your digestion in a serious way as a side effect. Watch out.

Anonymous said...

Got the ACL recon 3 days ago.

I have 4 incisions, and took most of the dressings off today. Pain isnt too bad at the moment. For yesterday and today, I have been taking 1 percocet to help me sleep, and nothing during the day.

My range of motion is about 5 to 80 degrees. I dont have a CPM machine, but I'm not too worried; I'll recover.

Stephen Gilson said...

Good luck with your rehab, Anon. Hope you find some useful info here.