A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Thursday, March 8, 2007

Pre-op minus 1

My knees before. My left is the one being repaired.

I have my instructions for appearing at the hospital tomorrow (10:15 procedure starts 11:40). And earlier today, the CPM and knee brace were delivered to my house and fitted. The CPM is very quiet to use, and, no surprise, passive. I could easily see falling asleep with the thing on. The tech who delivered it has been through two ACL recons himself quite a while ago, but thought the machine would probably make a difference in short-term rehab but not so much long term. I'm not sure how to reconcile that, but I feel like I still need a definitive plan from my OS following surgery tomorrow. I'm really hoping to get some imagery or video I can post here.

My dad (retired orthopod) is planning to visit tomorrow to lend moral support.

I'm stocked with movies and a couple of good books. The only thing I don't have that I wish I had was a Tivo unit. Hmm, BestBuy is open tonight...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

heading in for my ACL surgery tomorrow morning and reading other peoples stories, like yours, is slowly diluting the amount of anxiety I have right now! Thanks for sharing!!!

Stephen Gilson said...

Meghan, good luck on your procedure. You can handle it. And make sure you do the PT, own it, work it. You'll be fine.