A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Sunday, February 25, 2007

Quiet the doubts

When I was thinking about the prospect of surgery, and given how good the knee has been feeling, I have noticed a tiny element of doubt sneaking into my mind now and then. I never had any swelling or significant pain after all. Now and then I feel a little twinge on the outside of my knee, and bending the knee too far causes some pain. But one part of me is comparing the gravity of the surgery I'm facing with the apparent lack of symptoms. Is it the right thing to do? It's a question of weighing post-surgical risks against what I want to be able to do with the leg.

Lately, the knee has been feeling a bit achy. Nothing too specific. But it reminds me that not doing something about it invites other problems to develop. That's one strong reason for going through with this. The knee can start breaking down over time if the ACL is left untreated.

For me the main issue is mobility on the tennis court. My quickness and movement on the court is a serious requirement and an advantage for me against other players in my age group. Where I may lack in shot making or situational play, I can often make up by getting to balls and maintaining balance and fluidity. If I elected not to have this procedure, I'd have to give up singles forever, and I'm not at all ready to do that.

3 comments:

Ging & Pauly said...

Hi Stephen,

Glad I found your blog - I am right at this 'umming and aaaahing' doubting stage, even though surgery is booked for 4 May...

I shall add your blog as a favourite to keep me inspired throughout the painful recovery "journey" :)

Stephen Gilson said...

GP, good luck on your procedure. I had some doubts too -- there's always risk with surgery: anaesthesia, infection, recovery, etc. For me, I was ready to take a shot at it, and I'm really happy with the results. The surgery is just the start of the journey, so embrace it, grow with it, and get the job done.

Ging & Pauly said...

Actually, I should've clarified, I'm not too concerned about the surgery itself, but more about the pain/rehab/physio!! Slowly, slowly, I guess...