A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Thursday, February 22, 2007

Pre-op update

I spoke to my orthopod yesterday about a few pre- and post-op details. I had a few questions about what to expect post-op, like how quickly I'd be starting PT, whether a knee brace was covered by insurance, that kind of thing. These are my notes from the call:
  • A surgical pre-test has been scheduled three days before the procedure. Not sure yet what's done at the pre-test, but I assume they cover all the day-of details, run some basic tests, etc.
  • On the day prior to the procedure, March 8, I'll be fitted for a post-op knee brace and supplied (loaned, I would think) a CTM, which I understand to be a constant-motion device
  • Dr. Peters I don't think is convinced the CTM is all that necessary but I guess it's part of the package.
  • He suggested using the CTM a few times a day for 30 mins. to an hour, but that it was up to me. I got the impression that he didn't think it was that important.
  • Swelling the first week or so is the main issue. Keep knee elevated.
  • I'll be on crutches first 3-4 weeks and then walking freely.
  • I asked him if I'd need to get fitted for a sports knee brace but he said he thought I wouldn't need one at all once I was fully recovered.
  • Plan to start PT the week following the procedure, say Wednesday the 14th. He'll send over the prescription (for PT) to the Fallon PT clinic in Worcester. I should call to confirm and schedule prior to the surgery.
I've worked at Fallon PT before and wasn't too impressed. Tennis has been good to me, but also hard on the body, especially my shoulder. Right now, I'm dealing with a probable impingement issue that seems to be responding well to strengthening exercises. The physical therapist I'm working with now on my shoulder is John Pallof at South County PT in Auburn, and he is really good. The only draw-back is that Auburn is more than twice as far away as Fallon. We'll see how it goes.

There's pretty good info at eHealthmd.com on ACL reconstruction.

No comments: