A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Thursday, October 11, 2007

Getting back the groove

Added a YouTube clip this morning showing me hitting a few groundstrokes on a clay court in Holden MA, October 3. The date is only significant because two days later I went in to have a SLAP tear repaired in my shoulder. This is pretty light hitting, but I've been feeling more and more 'normal' every day. This is the first video of myself hitting a tennis ball that I've seen in twenty years. I can see some holes in my strokes but given I haven't played a serious set of tennis since Oct. 2006, I'm pretty happy, very happy actually.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you ask for a ranking reduction? Was it granted?

Stats:

37
4.0
Usually commute by bike 26 miles rt 3 seasons a year
Tele/X-country in winter.

Gave up tennis from Sep 2006 to April 2007 (Achelees.)
Worked back to my old level by the end of July
Blew the ACL/MCL Aug 31.
Surgery is set for this Wednesday.

Stephen Gilson said...

Best of luck on the 21st Erin. Your fitness level is going to significantly improve your recovery experience.

I have the paperwork collected for a ranking reduction and expect to send it in soon. In addition to my ACL, I also had a labrum tear repaired two weeks ago -- a type II SLAP lesion. So I won't be swinging a racquet for a little while.

Unknown said...

Linkage:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/2816

Blew it during a tennis match. I had bought some extra beefy ski gear in the spring and was worried I would hurt something on the mountain. Imagine my suprise.

Stephen Gilson said...

Follow up note: I never did file the USTA ranking appeal and I'm glad I didn't. My game has improved since my injuries and I'm playing well at 4.0. With a slightly better record, I'd be a 4.5.