A knee knows

I tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in my left knee skiing at Mt. Wachusett in central Mass. on January 18, 2007. This is a common injury to weekend warriors like myself, so I thought others might like to know what happens once you've done something unfortunate like this to your body. Maybe you've injured yourself too, and feel like the game's over. However, you can return to your sport -- you just need to stay focused and do the work.

Here's where it started...



Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Coming up on 13 weeks

Feeling good.

For the most part, the knee is a non-issue doing ordinary things. I haven't been cleared to start running yet, though my OS last week came just shy of giving me the OK. My PT has mentioned he'll probably have me doing some light "jumping" soon, which may mean at this morning's session. I have also been cleared to ride my bicycle, but haven't managed to get out on it yet.

I'm continuing to do my exercises, though I could be a little more rigorous about it. My OS and I talked a little about skiing this coming season, and he thought I'd be OK to get back out there, but I said I was a little nervous about that. I love to ski, but I can live without it, and I mainly do not want to put my knees at risk. I guess the assumption I'm working from is that tennis is less of a risk to my ACLs than skiing is.

As a Ranger at Mt. Wachusett, I do like volunteering and helping out on the hill, so I'll probably take it slow, start the season late, and ski like an old man. But only after feeling absolutely solid on the leg. My one-legged squats are still a little shaky. I need to get out on the bike and climb some bloody hills!.

No comments: